Watching the Vice-Presidential debates last night, I was reminded yet again of this one fact: Negativity repels me.
It doesn’t matter which party or which candidate it comes from. Negativity and hatefulness are repulsive to people outside the camp. Which leads me to this thought: When Christians tear down other people, political parties and churches, NOTHING good comes of it.
- When people outside the Kingdom see us destroying each other’s character, they want nothing to do with us.
- When people outside the Kingdom see us spewing hatred over politics, they want nothing to do with us.
- When people outside the Kingdom see us tearing down every other church in the county, they want nothing to do with us.
If we are going to convince people to join the Kingdom, it will be because we’re different than anything they’ve ever seen. Our culture already knows negativity, backstabbing and narcissism. They get it.
They don’t need the Kingdom to show them what they already know, they need the Kingdom to show them what they’ve never seen.
So stow the attacks, the insults and the cheap shots, and commit to engaging everything in love.
- When it comes to politics, hold your opinion and vote your heart, but refuse to viciously attack anyone.
- When it comes to other churches, feel free to agree or disagree with them, but refuse to publicly trash them.
- When it comes to your family/neighbors/co-workers, be judicious with your relationship, but refuse to spread the rumors.
Negativity repels. But hope, faith and love attract a hurting world.
How are your words, posts and actions advancing the Kingdom?